Thursday, October 4, 2018

A Little Adventure and Travel Philosophy

You will see lots of blogs and guides about travel that say anyone can do it. Anyone can be a world traveler! The problem is that it is a lie. Not everyone can just up and leave their life behind to go off to exotic locations. Traveling around the world requires time and money among other things. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

I get to travel and see new places. I geared my life towards that and made the sacrifices that go along with it. I also recognize that I am very lucky to have that opportunity. I have never had to starve or feel insecure about my living situation. I was in a position to put away money to use for my travels instead of living paycheck to paycheck. I lack any responsibilities such as a family to take care of. That is why I can do what I do. Of course, that comes with an uncertain future. I’m spending a lot and not saving up or setting down roots for later in life. That is a trade off that I have made, for better and for worse.

The good news, though, is that everyone can have an adventure. An adventure does not have to be a whirlwind trip to far away lands. It is something that you can have in your own backyard (or equivalent for city dwellers). All it requires is a little time and a willingness to be fascinated with the world around you.

Even with my travels I can still find pleasure in a very small adventure. On a recent visit to Ohio I spent some time walking some old trails and roads. I had walked them before years ago. There were only small changes. Still, it was exciting to see. It was a chance to let my mind and spirit free as I followed these familiar paths.

To make sure I was ready for a big trip I wanted to keep my legs in shape while I was at home. Daily walks down the road were my prefered method. One evening after it rained I took a particularly long walk that went well past my usual turning point. Mist hung in the air, floating over the pastures I passed and between the trees that shaded me. As I turned down a seldom traveled road I felt as alone as I might have in a deep forest. For me, times like that spur my imagination. I like to think up ideas for fantastic stories that I will try to write down.

I visited the Lake Katherine State Nature Preserve. Again, I had to wait till after the rain had fallen. I had planned to just walk down to the lake for a few short pictures, but the little voice in the back of my head urged me to go a little farther. I listened, again and again, until it was clear I would be doing the full loop. The rain came back just as I neared the end. While I did not end up soaked it was enough to make me pick up the pace.

When I am in Taipei I will take little walks. There are lots of streets just in my neighborhood that I still have not gone down. So now and then I will choose a new street to walk when my interest is piqued. I get lost, but I see something new as well.

And that is something anyone can do. Take a new street. Turn over a rock. Just wander around someplace new. By all means, if you can, go to a new town, state, or country. The farther you go the more you will see. But if your life prevents that then look for ways to make your own adventure. Take an interest in plants, insects, and rocks. Suddenly the world will become a bigger, stranger place. Develop an interest that requires you to go off the familiar path. Explore graveyards or old buildings, make a game of finding certain houses, or just use an app that tracks how far you go. Most importantly, make the adventure yours. You do not have to worry about impressing the world so long as you are excited and making your own story.

No comments:

Post a Comment